Watching the videos is the fastest way to learn the mechanics of using the NeuroShell Trader. Once you’ve
mastered the mechanics, you can begin to craft successful trading systems. The script for each video is included in a
help topic with the same name in the NeuroShell Trader help file.
Click on the topic titles below to view the corresponding video.
Started - Watch the videos, set up a data source, and learn how to get help.
- Create a chart and save it - Go the File Menu and select New Chart.
You'll be asked to specify the time frame and ticker symbol.
- Open an existing chart - From the File Menu select Open Chart and browse
the directory which includes a previously saved chart that you want to open.
- Format data series - Change the name, color, or line style of a data
- Chart views - In addition to the default chart, you can view a snapshot
of data values, historical data, or an entire portfolio.
- E-mail a chart - Send a chart with data to another user or to tech
- Zoom controls - Click on the magnifying glass for a closer look at your
- Existing Data and Other Instrument Data - Display data from the chart or
- Drag and drop subgraphs - Rearrange subgraphs on the chart using the
- Format a chart - Right click on the chart to changes dates, height, and
- Deleting Data - Rename a data series, or delete data from a chart.
- Drawing tools - Add trend lines, channels, Fibbonaci retracements, lines,
text, and more.
- User chart templates - Store your favorite charts for later use.
- Trader chart templates - Easily apply standard technical analysis studies
in the NeuroShell Trader.
- Workspaces - Save your favorite charts in a workspace that may be opened
all at once.
- Add chart pages - Automatically apply your model to other instruments.
- Display multiple charts - Open more than one chart and arrange them on
- Indicator options - Use the Tools menu, options for wizards, to select
indicator categories to display, move categories up and down, display different colors for multiple
indicators, select the option to save custom indicators or a DayTrader option to cross day boundaries.
- Insert an indicator - Add one of the more than 800 indicators to your
- Modifying indicator default parameters - Change the number of periods
over which to calculate an indicator such as Relative Strength Index, the number of periods in a moving
- Indicator shortcuts - Build indicators with multiple parameters,
parameter ranges, etc.
- Complex indicators - Use either the bottom up or top down method to build
- Bottom up method - Create individual indicators and then combine them
into a complex indicator.
- Top down method - Construct a single indicator based on other indicators.
- Custom indicators - Turn on the option for custom indicators and create
your own indicator categories.
Traditional Trading Strategies
- Build a Trading Strategy - Create trading rules based on an indicator
with the Trading Strategy wizard.
- Dates - Select dates for building and testing your model.
- Sizing - Specify the size of trades similar to your trading style to
accurately calculate profit and commissions.
- Costs - Enter commissions, margin percentage, slippage, point values.
- Advanced - Select an objective for building the model, choose from four
different optimization methods, set limits on how long to train the model, and specify an average trade
- Setting Optimization Ranges - Choose whether or not to optimize
parameters in trading rules, and set optimization ranges for parameters you select.
- Session Start End Times - Specify the first time and last time displayed
on the chart and used in calculations.
- Applying Trading Strategies - Apply the trading rules you've developed to
new data for the same instrument.
- Applying Trading Strategies to other instruments - Add additional chart
pages to test the same rules on other stocks, futures, Forex, etc. Learn how to answer questions about
retraining the model.
- Built-in Trading Strategy Templates - Choose from popular systems such as
RSI or Moving Average Crossovers.
- Save Trading Strategy Template - Develop a library of trading rules that
may be applied to any market.
Neural Network Predictions
- Neural Nets Overview – Understand how neural nets learn to make
predictions from patterns in past data.
- Create Your Own Prediction – Create a prediction model with price
momentum and regression slope indicators.
- Prediction Output Tab – Select what you want to predict and how far ahead
in the future to make the prediction.
- Dates – Choose sections of the data file for evaluating the model and
specify time periods for intraday charts.
- Shares – Enter information such as the size of your account balance or
the number of shares you want the model to trade.
- Costs – Enter commissions, margin percentage, slippage, point values.
- Positions – Decide if you want the prediction to trade long and/or short,
and specify the trading thresholds.
- Training – Set a training objective for the neural network, as well as
the number of hidden neurons to use in the network.
- Optimization – Select an optimization method as well as how long to train
the model and the average trade span.
- Save prediction template – Save a prediction template for use in other
- Built-in prediction templates – Choose from prediction templates based on
- What to predict and which inputs to use – Learn how to build successful
- Prediction results – Examine the results in order to determine if the
model is successful.
Applying Models and Examining Results
Data Feeds and Files
- Data overview – Use data from a data vendor or your own text files to create
models in the Trader.
- Data servers – Choose from several different end-of-day or intraday data feeds
that work with NeuroShell Trader. Either choose the data feed from the servers list included with the Trader or
download data feed programs directly from the vendors.
- Compatible types of data files – Choose from text files saved in .CSV format, as
well as CSI and MetaStock formats.
- Mapping data files – Designate folders on your computer that store data files you
want to use in the Trader.
- Modifying data in a chart – Correct bad data ticks by modifying a price or volume
- Exporting data from a chart – Export chart data and graphs from the Trader using
the Tools menu.
- Forex sizing and costs – Learn how to set the sizing and costs tab in the Trading
Strategy Wizard when building models for Forex.
- When to use exchange rates – Set up the Trader to show results in your home
money denomincation, as well as trade based on an account balance.
- Exchange rate terminology – Find out how the Trader uses the terms base, quote,
and home to set up exchange rates.
- How to set exchange rates - Learn to set the exchange rates in either the
Prediction or Trading Strategy wizards, and select the appropriate symbol that will be used as an exchange rate.
- How optimization works in Trading Strategies – Learn how optimization changes
parameters such as the number of periods in a moving average indicator in order to create a more profitable
- How optimization works in Predictions – Discover how optimization selects
indicators and/or changes indicator parameters when they are used as inputs to a neural network.
- Optimization algorithm – Choose from among GeneHunter, evolution strategy, swarm,
and brute force optimization methods.
- Multi-core distributed optimization – Set up NeuroShell Trader to distribute
optimization processing across multiple computer cores and multiple hyper threads on a single computer for
- Ticker Scanning – Scan a large number of ticker symbols based on single or
multiple rules and/or indicators.
- Chart Page Calculations – Use these special indicators to decide which stocks,
futures, etc. to buy and which to sell in order to maximize your portfolio equity.
Power User Videos
- Multiple Frequencies on the Same Chart – Adds the ability to mix and match
multiple time frame data, indicators, predictions, and trading strategies.
- Position Sizing – Adds options for determining how many shares/units to
buy with each trade. Includes the option to let the optimizer choose the best position sizing parameters and/or
- Pyramiding/Scaling – Adds the ability increase or decrease a position in
increments. The optimizer can determine the max number of entries and percentage change for each increase or
- Pyramiding/Scaling Fixed Shares – Explains the relationship between setting a
fixed number of shares on the Sizing tab and the scaling settings on the Pyramiding tab.
- Position Size Graph Notation – Trader charts display the number of
shares/units to buy or sell.
- Walkforward Optimization – Trading Strategies only: Adds the ability to
“walkforward” optimizations such that each new optimization is applied to a new out-of-sample actual trading
period. This allows users to evaluate the out-of-sample performance of a strategy reoptimized regularly on newer
- Multiple Template Optimization and Backtesting – Trading Strategies Only: Adds
the ability to optimize and backtest multiple templates simultaneously using the same data, cost, position
sizing, position scaling and optimization parameters.